Out at our new farm, the barn is missing some barn doors in one area. In this project, I’m going to rip out the rotten temporary wall and make some custom barn doors.
If you don’t know, we recently bought a farm, and on the farm there is a barn (sounds like a kid’s song). The barn has one large sliding door for the main building, but there is a side room that is supposed to have doors as well. The previous owner took the doors out and replaced them with a cheap wall. Well, that wall is rotted and gross and I want to be able to open up that space. Time to make some barn doors!
I cut the nails holding in the patch wall and smashed the rotting structure out. This exposed the previous door jams and the area i needed to measure for the new doors. Armed with these measurements, it was time to cut some steel for the new frames!
Now that I had the measurements I needed to begin the door construction, I started cutting the 90-degree steel beams. I used the metal-cutting bandsaw set to 45-degree angles to cut all eight pieces that will make up both door frames. Using the MIG welder, I welded the pieces together making two huge rectangular frames. To prevent the door from sagging over time I welded a piece of flat stock from corner to corner across each door. I used the angle grinder to clean up the welds and added a coat of black enamel paint to each frame.
As noted by my line of outdoor projects, I love the look of cedar and black metal. Cedar is also great to use in outdoor applications, so it was a natural choice. I used cedar pickets instead of regular dimensional lumber, because the wooden panels were not as structurally integral. The cedar panel will sit inside the 90-degree steel frame and will be held in place using stainless steel screws to prevent rusting. I cut the cedar pickets at a 45-degree angles and stretched it from corner to corner. To make sure that both doors’ boards matched up, I cut the boards in pairs and laid them down in a herringbone pattern. To finish off each panel, I screwed down a cedar frame around the edges to tie the boards together and to connect them to the steel frames.
Now that the doors were done, I welded on some large hinges and took them out to the farm. To ensure a consistent spacing on the bottom, I set down a piece of scrap 1/8″ wood. Josh helped me move the doors in place while I screwed the door hinges to the door frame. The second door went in the exact same way. We added a 4×4 to the inside of the barn, above the doors to act as a header and to cover the gap above the doors.
I bought some aluminum gutter material to act as exterior door trim. We cut it the the bandsaw and trimmed out specialty cuts with my Maker Knife. All the barn doors needed was a door latch. I placed the sturdy door latch on the inside of the door to keep a clean look on the outside. I don’t plan on using that space as a primary entryway, so it was ok that the lock was on the inside.
First Project At The New Farm!
I really like how this project turned out. It makes a huge difference when you’re driving up to the barn and now that side room is accessible from the outside! I have some awesome plans for that space and the barn as a whole. I hope you like this new venture, and stay tuned for more projects out there!
(purchasing via these affiliate links supports ILTMS)
- Dewalt 20v drill driver combo
- Dewalt Miter Saw
- Countersink drill bits
- Rikon 10″ Band Saw
- Shop Fox Hanging Air Filter
- 2HP Dust Collector
- 1 Micron bag
- Speed square
- MIG welder *
- Welding mask (auto darkening)
- Welding gloves
- Angle grinder *
- Cut off wheels
- Metal cutting bandsaw *