We’ve got four kids, so that means LOTs of bikes, helmets, scooters, tricycles, skateboards, etc. So far, as the collection has grown, they’ve ended up in up in a huge pile (along with my outdoor lumber storage). Finally, I had enough of the disarray and decided to make a giant bike rack to organize, and mostly hide, them.
To cover the front side, I used some slats from a 13′ pallet that a friend had given me. I realize that not everyone is going to have (or want to buy) boards that long. Adding fence boards to it, vertically, would be a great way to cover it with a different look.
If you’d like to build one of your own, I’ve got plans for this project available as a digital download.Get project plans
Check it out!
I cut two pieces of 2×4 down to act as the uprights.
Those two pieces got fitted in between the upper and lower cross pieces.
I nailed the outer frame together with a framing nailer, but you could use a hammer, or decking screws and a screwdriver.
I trimmed one long piece down to fit inside the frame.
The piece was lined up with marks I made on each end.
This piece got nailed in from the outside.
On all three cross pieces, I marked in 48″ from each end.
I cut and fit in two pieces of 2×4, lining them up with the marks I’d made.
These pieces were nailed from the top and bottom.
The pieces in the other section were only nailed from the top.
Once in place, I toenailed those uprights into place.
I cut two “feet” for the rack from 2×4.
On each “foot”, I drew a line alone a scrap of 2×4.
Using that line as reference, I drew a 45˚ angle to the top of the 2×4.
I cut off the corner, using the speed square as a guide for the saw.
With both ends of both “feet” angled, I made a mark for aligning them to the frame.
I lined the “feet” up, and nailed them to the frame.
The outer end of the “feet” were connected with another full length 2×4.
I used a scrap to force the 2×4 down, keeping my hand as far away from the nail gun as I could get it. That thing is kind of scary.
With a 2×2, I cut opposing 45˚ miters on each end, trimming to fit the piece in place.
Once I had one that fit, I used it as a template to cut several more just like it.
These angle brackets were screwed into the frame with decking screws.
I used a scrap 2×4 as a spacer to add rest of the pieces. This helps avoid having to measure the top and bottom of every one.
I added brackets to both outside sections.
I measured out enough (giant) pallet slats to cover the front of the frame.
Each piece was measured to be the same length, matching the length of the frame.
I used the speed square again as a guide, to trim them all down.
I also used the speed square as a space, to slightly light the pallet slat from the ground, before screwing it in place.
I used it under every piece, to give a consistent gap between all of the slats.
I marked three places on the back of each section and drilled a small pilot hole.
Each hole received a coated plant hook, to use used for hanging helmets.
After it was moved, I loaded it all up with our gear!